Congregation B’nai Israel
In 1864, the Hebrew Benevolent Society was founded in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Yom Kippur services were held in a private home.
In 1866, services were held at the Masonic Hall.
In 1867, High Holy Day services were held at the Seventies Hall.
In 1869, Brigham Young offered the Jewish community land for the purpose of constructing a Jewish cemetery.
In 1873, Congregation B’nai Israel was established.
By 1876, there were about 40 families in the Salt Lake City Jewish community.
The First Building – 1878-1889
In 1878, Congregation B’nai Israel began talking about constructing a synagogue building.
In 1881, Congregation B’nai Israel purchased land on the corner of First West and Third South Streets. A brick school house was built first.
In 1883, construction on the synagogue building was finished.
Services were in the Orthodox tradition until 1882, when the congregation decided to move toward a more Reform style of service.
Rabbi Leon Strauss helped the congregants transition from one style of observance to another.
In 1885, the transition was complete and all the Orthodox members left Congregation B’nai Israel and created Congregation Montefiore.
Congregation Montefiore met in congregants homes until 1902, when Morris Levy donated land at 355 South Third East and Isadore Morris donated $150 in gold dust for the construction of a synagogue building. Congregation Montefiore was a Conservative synagogue.
The Second Building – 1889-1970
In 1889, Congregation B’nai Israel sold their first building and began building a new synagogue at Fourth East between Second and Third South.
The synagogue building was designed by Frederick Auerbach’s nephew, Philip Meyer, and supervised by architect, Henry Monheim, in the Romanesque revival style, reminiscent on the Fasanenstrasse Synagogue in Berlin. Most of the founding congregants were German by birth.
The second building was dedicated in 1891.
Rabbi Moses P. Jacobson became the spiritual leader and helped the congregation more than double in size.
Merging Congregations – 1970
In 1970, Congregation B’nai Israel and Congregation Montefiore decided to join forces.
Their merger was completed in 1972 with the creation of Congregation Kol Ami, which serves both Reform and Conservative families.
Congregation Kol Ami continues to thrive at 2425 Heritage Way under the spiritual leadership of Rabbi Ilana Schwartzman.
Samantha Silver is Curator for this Congregation B’nai Israel/Kol Ami Exhibit.
We need a picture of the current Congregation Kol Ami.