Los Angeles’s First Conservative Synagogue
Sinai Temple was chartered in 1906.
It’s first building, which is still in use today as a group of Christian congregations, was built at the corner of 12th and Valencia, close to the Los Angeles Convention Center.
The current tenents have carefully preserved the original windows, pews, and Jewish “decorations.”
The Second Building
In 1925, the rapidly growing congregation built its second building in the Wilshire District where most of its members now resided.
At the corner of 4th Street and New Hampshire, the new structure of Sinai Temple soared.
As with the first location, the current Protestant church has preserved much of the “Jewish” components of the architecture.
Today’s Sinai Temple is on Wilshire Boulevard and Beverly Glen.
Development started in 1956 and the building was consecrated in 1960.
Additional buildings were completed in 1969 and 1998