Temple Israel of Omaha – The Early Years
The first Jewish High Holy Day Services were held in 1867 with 20 attendees.
The following year, 1868, Khela B’ni Israel was formed (informally) and held High Holy Day services at the Masonic Hall.
Isaac Frank was President and Samuel M. Levy was Secretary.
In 1871, Congregation of Israel was created from the original group with Meyer Hellman as its President.
It was agreed that the synagogue would follow “Reform Principles.”
The B’nai Israel Burial Society was also founded in 1871.
Its senior officers were: J.A. Hart, M. Goldsmith, J.C. Rosenfeld and Emmanuel Simon. Trustees were: N. Rosenthal, Bernard Gladstone & Samuel Jacobs.
The land for Pleasant Hill Cemetery was bought 1871 – but deeded to Congregation of Israel after a short time.
Reverend Alexander Rosenspitz served the Congregation of Israel for 6 months in 1871
That year the High Holy Days were celebrated at the Masonic Hall.
Seven young members received Certificates of Confirmation and a grand ball was given at Max Meyer’s Music Hall after the holidays.
Articles of Incorporation were finally filed in 1873 for the Congregation of Israel.
In 1873 & 4, Reverend Hertzman of Council Bluffs led High Holy Day Services in Max Meyer’s Music Hall
Reverend David Stern was engaged by congregation in 1878, but left in 6 months due to higher salary needs.
Congregation of Israel purchased a lot for a synagogue building in 1879 but had to wait until 1884 to complete this project.
Reverend H. Shaft was engaged as spiritual leader in 1883, but left after a year.
The synagogue was dedicated in the Fall of 1884 – the first synagouse constructed in Nebraska. It had a seating capacity of 300.
Reverend George E. Hartfield was engaged as Rabbi for the new synagogue in 1884. With a monthly salary of $125/month he had to supplement his income teaching French and German.
In 1885, Joseph Oberfelder, son of Isaac Oberfelder, President of the congregation, became the first Bar Mitzvah.
Rabbi N. I. Benson was elected as Spiritual Leader in 1885 and remained for four years.
Rabbi Benson helped organize the Ladies Sewing Society which created clothing for the needy. The club was presided over by Mrs. Meyer Hellman. It was the first organized Jewish woman’s charity in Omaha.
Congregation of Israel affiliated with the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (UAHC) in 1889. Rabbi Benson, being more observant, resigned in the Spring of that year.
Rabbi William Rosenau, a graduate of Hebrew Union College (HUC) was the next spiritual leader of Congregation of Israel.
Rabbi Leo Franklin succeed Rabbi Rosenau in 1892. He remained for 6 years.
Rabbi Abram Simon was installed in 1899. In this period the Sisterhood was organized.
Rabbi Frederick Cohn assumed his duties in 1904. Under his guidance, membership grew, a new building, now known as Temple Israel, was dedicated in 1908. Rabbi Cohn remained with the congregation for 30 years.
Today, Temple Israel is thriving and in the midst of building its fourth synagogue.
For more information see the following issues of Western States Jewish History:
- The Jews of Omaha: The First 60 Years, by Carol Gendler, 6-part series, Vol. 5, #3 & 4; Vol.6, #1 – 4. 1973-1974
This material was gathered in 1974. Much more information has probably been found since then. Any more information will be appreciated. Just click on “Contact” on the top bar.