The Jewish Consumptive Relief Association
The Jewish Consumptive Relief Organization has its beginnings as a sub-organization of the Jewish Sheltering Society, but quickly went off on its own.
September, 1912 was the date of the first meeting to discuss organizing the Jewish Consumptive Relief Association.
Articles of Incorporation were filed with the State of California in May, 1913.
The opening of the sanatorium was January 11, 1914.
Tuberculosis was in almost epidenic form in many areas of the United States.
There was no known cure except rest and preferably very dry and warm climate.
Because it was infectious, most patients were separated from family and housed in special homes.
To make matters worse, many of the patients were children.
The First Location
Kaspare Cohn donated a house on Carroll Street as a Consumptive Hospital/Home.
The house still stands today.
In 1914, after the City of Los Angeles decreed that all Comsumptive Facilities had to leave the city limits, 10 acres of land were purchased in Duarte, in the San Gabrial Valley 16 miles east of Los Angeles.
The original Los Angeles Sanatorium in Duarte consisted of two tents, one for caregivers and one for patients.
The City of Hope
Renamed The City of Hope, the sanatorium grew rapidly, treating tubercular patients until after World War II when vaccines for tuberculous stopped the epidemic.
Post World War II
Post World War II saw the City of Hope evolve into a full medical center known mostly for its focus on cancer research.
The City of Hope – Today a World Famed Cancer Research Center
Though not a “Jewish” institution, its roots were, and a major portion of its fund raising offices around the country are heavily supported by various Jewish groups, both formal and informal.
(Thank You, Kaspare Cohn and the original Jewish Comsumptive Relief Society.)
To make a donation visit, www.cityofhope.org/giving