Edgar Marks Lazarus, Jr.Values Codes: I-H-E-L-P
Edgar Marks Lazarus, Jr. was born in 1868 in Baltimore, Maryland.
His parents, Edgar Lazarus, Sr. and Minnie Mordecai Lazarus, were members of the Sephardic Jewish community in Charleston, South Carolina.
Along the way . . . .
In 1888, Edgar Lazarus, Jr. graduated from the Maryland Institute of Art and Design.
He then went to Washington, DC, where he worked as an architect for the US Army Quartermaster Corps.
In 1891, Edgar Lazarus moved west to Portland, Oregon.
With fellow architect, William Ellicot, Lazarus founded the architectural firm Ellicot & Lazarus.
They designed buildings such as the Multnomah Amateur Athletic Club, the Oregon Institute of the Blind and the University Hospital of Baltimore.
In 1896, Edgar Lazarus became a Superintendent of Construction of Public Works.
Managing small construction projects like post offices led him to bigger jobs, such as supervising architect for the US Custom House.
Lazarus also designed early buildings of Eastern Oregon State Normal School in Weston, Oregon Agricultural College in Corvallis and University of Oregon in Eugene.
In 1901, he designed the Morrow County Courthouse and clock tower, which has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1985.
In 1903, Lazarus worked on the design and construction of Pioneer Courthouse.
In 1904, Edgar Lazarus resigned from his government position due to a law that did not allow civil servants to work in private practice.
In 1905, Lazarus built the Palace of Agriculture for the Lewis and Clark Centennial and American Pacific Exposition in Oregon. The design included a large, gold dome.
In 1906, Lazarus worked for the Portland Country Club & Livestock Association to create a complex that would house their organizations as well as the Portland Hunt Club, the Automobile Club and the Kennel Club. The complex is called the Rose City Racetrack.
In 1909, Lazarus formed a partnership with Morris Whitehouse and J. Andres Fouilhoux.
Lazarus, Whitehouse & Fouilhoux designed the State Hospital in Salem, the Mann Old People’s Home in Portland and the Wickersham Apartments.
In 1910, Edgar Lazarus left the partnership and went to Europe for a year.
In 1911, Edgar Lazarus and Frank Logan formed the firm of Lazarus & Logan.
They designed the South Wing of the Oregon State Hospital in Salem.
In 1915, Lazarus accepted a commission to design Vista House, a memorial to Oregon pioneers as well as a comfort station and observatory.
Vista House was completed in 1918.
In 1971, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Edgar Lazarus designed the first Neighborhood House in Portland around 1904.
In 1904, he designed the Ahavai Shalom Synagogue (now Neveh Shalom Synagogue).
–Photo Courtesy of the University of Oregon Libraries
Lazarus also designed homes for wealthy Jews in the community.
Edgar Lazarus founded the Oregon Chapter of the American Institute of Architects in 1911. He served as president in 1913.
Lazarus was also a member of the Portland Architectural Club.
In 1921, Edgar Lazarus Jr. married Fanny Hendricks.
Edgar Lazarus Jr. died in 1939.
Fanny Hendricks Lazarus died in 1966.
They are buried in the Oheb Shalom Cemetery in Baltimore, Maryland.
For more information see the following issue of Western States Jewish History:
- Normand, Eugene. Edgar M. Lazarus, Jr. 1868-1939: Early Jewish Architect of Portland, Oregon. Western States Jewish History, 2015; 48 (1): 59-66.
- Teague, Edward. Edgar M. Lazarus, Architect: Life and Legacy. http://pages.uoregon.edu/ehteague/lazarus/
Samantha Silver is the Curator for this Edgar Lazarus Jr. Exhibit.
Any more personal information or pictures of the members of the families will be appreciated.
Be sure to “Share” this with friends on Facebook so they get to enjoy our virtual museum.