The Eureka Benevolent Association was formed in 1850 for aid and relief to indigent, and infirm Jews; to bury the dead; and to aid Jews who might be in poverty.
In 1907, it became the Eureka Benevolent Society.
The Eureka Benevolent Society expanded through the years to create more services to the community.
In the early 20th Century, such other Jewish agencies such as the Hebrew Ladies’ Sewing Circle, The Ladies Benolent Society joined together with the original Eureka Benevolent Society.
Today it is best known as the Jewish Family and Children’s Service Agency which also includes the Pacific Jewish Orphan Asylum.
The following Early Jewish Pioneers of the 1850s, 60s and 70s, along with many others, made this possible: [Click on their names to be taken to their own exhibit page.]
More information can be found in the following issues of Western States Jewish History:
First Hebrew Benevolent Society of San Francisco, Early Jewish Pioneers of, Pioneer Jews of San Francisco, Part One, A-L, Norton Stern, 41/1
Note: To enlarge any photo, click on the middle of it.