Temple Emanu-El of Tucson
Before 1910, the Jewish men in Tucson conducted High Holy Day services in halls, stores or homes.
As often happened in the Wild West, Jewish women took the lead in wanting a synagogue structure. In this case it was the Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society.
Rabbi Martin Zielonka, a circuit rabbi from El Paso inspired the leaders of the Tucson Jewish Community to start plans for a synagogue in 1904.
The ladies led the movement with luncheons, bridge parties, teas, bazaars and a Purim Ball.*
- * The Jewish Museum of the American West has discovered that this was a pattern throughout the West. Men would meet for High Holy Day services in rented locations. When men became able to support a family and brought their brides to the community, it was the usually women that lead the movement for a synagogue building. At this point, the Jewish community also started celebrating Purim, usually with a grand Purim Ball.
The First Building
Early in 1910 the Hebrew Benevolent Society was created to plan the new synagogue structure.
In June the cornerstone was laid with ceremonies lead by the local Masonic Grand Lodge.
On Rosh Hashanah, 1910, the “Stone Avenue Synagogue,” became first Jewish house of worship in the Arizona Territory - Temple Emanu-El.
Rabbi E.M. Chapman of Albuquerque, New Mexico was invited to lead the dedication and conduct High Holy Day services – after which he accepted a one-year contract as religious leader of the new synagogue.
In the 1930s, congregants differed over Reform and Traditional practices. The temple’s board tried for years to unite the two factions.
Unsuccessful, in 1936, Temple Emanu-El gave their nearby Community Center to the new Conservative congregation, Anshei Israel.
The Second Building
Rabbi Joseph Gumbiner arrived in 1941 and started discussions of building a new, much larger Temple Emanu-El.
Discussions on the future location for Temple Emanu-El began in earnest after World War II.
In 1947, property at East 9th Street and N. Country Club Road was purchased.
Construction of the Temple began in late 1948.
In 1949, Temple Emanu-El moved into the first building of its eventual complex.
1963, marked the community dedication of Temple Emanu-El’s building complex, including the auditorium, religious school, convocation building and sanctuary.
Viewers are invited to add to this exhibit with pictures, etc.
Stone Avenue Pictures by the Jewish History Museum of Tucson.