Congregation Beth Israel of San Diego
Jewish Pioneers started arriving in San Diego , in small numbers, as early as 1850.
As more Jewish Pioneers arrived, they began to gather together for High Holy Day worship services in homes and other meeting rooms.
In 1851 The San Diego Herald reported that: “Three Jews met at the home of Lewis Franklin for High Holy Day services.”
In 1861, Marcus Schiller gathered local Jewish men to form a congregation to be called Adath Yeshurum which eventually evolved into Congregation Beth Israel.
San Diego went through many years of boom and bust, as hopes for a railroad connection to the East rose – and fell.
Another period of extensive draught caused havoc on the struggling town/city with normally perfect weather.
The small Jewish community grew – and shrank with each of these early economic changes.
Finally, under the leadership of Marcus Schiller, Beth Israel was formally incorporated in 1887.
The First Building
In 1889, Temple Beth Israel was built at Second Avenue and Beech Street.
Its first service was led by Abraham Blochman, Marcus Schiller, and two men identified only as Lippman and Jacobs of Oceanside.
The congregation grew and the building was used until 1926, when the Beth Israel moved to its new structure at Third and Laurel in Banker’s Hill.
The original synagogue is now a San Diego Historical Site.
It was moved to Heritage Park and is owned by the County of San Diego and is a favorite location for weddings and other gatherings.
The Second Building
After World War I, as San Diego developed into a rapidly growing military town and, as the congregation grew, a larger building was needed.
In 1926 the new Beth Israel was dedicated by its 60 member families on Banker’s Hill, overlooking the city.
Congregation Beth Israel eventual occupied a full city block in downtown San Diego, including a school building built in the 1960’s and several apartments.
The Third Building
Beth Israel’s third location was dedicated in 2001 in University City, just east of La Jolla.
The facility now has five buildings totaling more than 65,000 square feet and membership of about 1,200 families.
Information for this exhibit was gathered from:
- Old Town, New Town: An Enjoyment of San Diego History, edited by William M. Kramer, Stanley & Laurel Schwartz, Western States Jewish History Special Book, 1994.
- The first 150 Years: A History of Congregation Beth Israel in San Diego, 2012, by Congregation Beth Israel, 9001 Town Centre Drive, San Diego, CA 92122, (858) 535-1111.
Temple Members & Historians are invited to add Facts and photos to this exhibition. Click on “Submissions” on the top bar