Congregation Beth Israel / Ahavath Beth Israel
Congregation Beth Israel
Congregation Beth Israel’s first meeting was held at the home of Moses Alexander, early in 1895.
The Charter Members were:
Moses Alexander, L. Baukofsky, David Cohen, David Falk, Leo Falk, Nathan Falk, Sigmond Falk, Julius Grunbaum, Leo P. Grunbaum, Max Hardman, Ben Heymanson, A. Jackson, A. B. Kohny, Max Mayfield, H. Seller, Leo H. Seller, E. Shainwald, D. Spiegel, George Spiegel, Joe Spiegel, Leo Spiegel, Marx Siegel, Louis Stark, Charles H. Stoltz, and L. Weil.
The original Officers were:
President: David Falk, Vice-President: Moses Alexander, Secretary: Charles Stolz, Treasurer: D. Soiegel, Trustees: Nathan Falk, L. Weil, and E. Shainwald.
By mid-year, 1895 they had purchased land for a building.
By the High Holy Days of 1886, the members of Congregation Beth Israel celebrated together in their new synagogue.
The building is said to be the oldest, continuously active synagogue in the United States and is also a National Monument.
Many contributions were received by Eastern firms with whom the member were doing business.
Congregation Beth Israel grew to about 50 families after the turn of the twentieth century.
Congregation Ahavath Israel
Congregation Ahavath Israel was founded in 1912 by Orthodox Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe.
Their synagogue was built at the corner of 27th and Bannock Streets in 1947.
The two congregations merged in 1986 to become Ahavath Beth Israel.
- Juanita Brooks, The History of the Jews in Utah & Idaho, Western Epics, SKC, Utah, 1973.
Any photos of or about Ahavath Beth Israel.would be appreciated.